Mostaccioli (1949); Growler (1884)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 27 20:10:46 UTC 2003

RUSH THE GROWLER

   I'd found numerous citations, plus several articles.  For an 1884
"growler" found on the NATIONAL POLICE GAZETTE (pre-ProQuest) and posted right here
three years ago:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0008A&L=ads-l&P=R5917

  We're getting PUCK and LIFE full text in about a month, so what's the rush
for growler?

MOSTACCIOLI

   I'd found the 1904 citation.  This dish was popular in the midwest
(Milwaukee), so I looked for the earliest.

   17 May 1949, TRAVERSE CITY RECORD EAGLE (Traverse, Michigan), pg. 12?,
col. 3:
   Under the management of Vincent Thomas, the establishment will feature
genuine Italian foods and will specialize in ravioli, rigatoni, mostaccioli and
the famous Italian pie, pizza.