Rush/Work the Growler (1883, 1884)

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Mon Jul 28 15:24:55 UTC 2003

I say this VERY tentatively, and with no evidence other than historical
confluences:  Isn't it just possible that "growler" could have come from an
Irish term transmuted into English?  The time of these early citations is
the peak time of Irish immigration; the possessive "me" cited below is
Irish/British English; the byline "By Himself" suggests Irish English
usage; and the locales cited were heavily Irish and Irish American (New
York, Trenton, Boston ...).  As linguists often note, they (and presumably
journalists and other language observers) don't usually become aware of
language change until it is well on its way, and then they assume such
change represents recent innovations when in fact it may have old and by
now obscure roots.