Gooey Butter Cake (1972); Humboldt Dressing; Franconia Potatoes (1884)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 29 07:16:21 UTC 2003

GOOEY BUTTER CAKE

A yeast-raised coffee cake whose butter-rich center gives it its "gooey"
name.  It is a specialty of St. Louis, Missouri, but its creator is unknown.  In
an article in _The New York Times_ (April 4, 1989) Ann Barry suggested it
probably came out of South St. Louis, where many German bakers lived in the
1930s,...
--John Mariani, ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999)

   I'll check this in the CHICAGO TRIBUNE, and I expect a good citation there
somewhere.
   The ancestry.com newspapers had 13 total citations.  Twelve were in this
newspaper, with this the earliest.

   19 January 1972, EDWARDSVILLE INTELLIGENCER (Edwardsville, Illinois), pg.
12, col. 3:
      Gourmet Pastry
GATEWAY
Gooey Butter Cake  1-Lb.  59c
(IGA supermarkets ad--ed.)

HUMBOLDT DRESSING

A dressing of crab butter, mayonnaise, and seasonings to be mixed with a dish
of crabs.  Supposedly created in the 1940s by a Eureka, California woman
named Humboldt who sold crabs from a stand, although it might also have originated
in the town of Humboldt, California.
--John Mariani, ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999)

GOOGLE HITS--0
GOOGLE GROUPS HITS--0

   Not even "Humboldt salad" produced a single hit.
   It's not in the LOS ANGELES TIMES, which goes up to 1923.  I'll check for
it later.
   It's not on ancestry.com newspapers, either.

FRANCONIA POTATOES

Boiled potatoes baked with butter.  The name refers to the Franconia range of
the White Mountains in New Hampshire.  The recipe below is from a 1944
cookbook.
--John Mariani, ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999)

   Which cookbook?  He doesn't tell us.
   There aren't any New Hampshire newspapers on ancestry.com, it appears.  I
haven't looked for "Franconia potatoes" in all the databases, but it's in
Fannie Framer's 1918 cookbook.  It's also in this book below.  How does anyone
miss these books?

(FEEDING AMERICA)
Franconia Potatoes (Baked with Meat)
Mrs. Lincoln's Boston Cook Book: What To Do and What Not To Do in Cooking.
Boston: Roberts Brothers, 1884