Sopaipilla; Herman; Hot Dish

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Tue Jul 29 22:30:30 UTC 2003

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> SOPAIPILLA
>
>    The next DARE has--?
>    There were no hits in the LOS ANGELES TIMES (to 1923).
>    Unfortunately, ancestry.com has gaps in its only New Mexico newspaper.
> Fortunately, it's been filling gaps on other newspapers:
>
> The Deming Headlight newspaper was located in Deming, New Mexico. This
> database is a fully searchable text version of the newspaper for the following
> years: 1888-89, 1893-94, 1921-23, 1966-79.
>

>    5 October 1967, DEMING HEADLIGHT (Deming, New Mexico), pg.2, col. 1 ad for
> a cooking school lecture at City Hall:
> Learn the techniques of making
> Sopaipillas, Tortillas and Tacos
> (and extra tips on variations in
> using them).

Make sure to try the alternative spelling (and the spelling I'm
familiar with) "sopapilla"

American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th, gives
the etymology as "American Spanish, diminutive of Spanish
sopaipa, fried dough sweetened with honey, from earlier xopaipa,
from Mozarabic xupaipa, diminutive of šúppa, súppa, bread soaked
in oil, from Old Spanish sopa, food soaked in liquid, of Germanic
origin."

> HERMAN
>
>    I'm working on the mysteries of "Herman," a midwest sourdough bread
> starter.  We'll see what the CHICAGO TRIBUNE has.  Ancestry.com didn't produce
> anything.

How far back are you? Southern Living had an article in 1982:
<http://www.recipegal.com/bread/herman-starter.htm>

Woman's Day also had an article in 1982:
<http://www.nctimes.net/news/2002/20020124/93923.html>

This article <http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/data/982003416.shtml>
claims that it's the same as the Amish Starter

... and here's a book (BEST OF THE HERMAN SOURDOUGH HERALD
1980-1990 by Dawn Johanson) which claims that the starter was
named "Herman" "by 2-1/2 year old Amy from Richmond, Va, back in
1978" <http://www.opendoorbooks.com/bakery/hermanso.htm> -- but
can you believe what you read on the Web?