Etcetera

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed Jul 30 18:16:10 UTC 2003

Peter's first pronunciation is indeed common everywhere; for the second, I
hear a repeat of [I/Ek].  I suspect it's a reanalysis of a word whose Latin
origin few now understand: the 'et' is not thought of as a separate word
with its own pron.; instead, the phrase is reinterpreted as one word--a
"funny" foreignism that is simply passed on through time (in fact, note the
"one word" spelling in the subject line, with no space).  And I suspect the
Montreal French teacher just passed on the same pron. she'd heard; the
phrase is just as foreign to French speakers as it is to English, after all.
Interestingly, the abbreviation is also often respelled to reflect, in
part, the new pron.:  ect.

I'll admit I don't like it (sorry), but it's another example of the kind of
reanalysis we've talked about often on this list--though another example
doesn't come to me right now.