Slovenian Cooking

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 2 01:42:52 UTC 2003

   Greetings from my last day in Bled.  What's up there in the castle but a picture of Laura Bush.  Every remote place I go there's a picture of either the American president or first lady (usually not both).
  Most Slovenian immigrants have settled in Cleveland, where perhaps you may find the dishes below.

CHICKEN RUNNING EAST--a popular description of Slovenia, like Italy's boot.

PLETNA--no motoboats are used on Bled's lake.  The rowboats are called "pletna" and are supposed to be unique.

GOLDEN TROUT--trout is found here, and it's good.  I was told that this kind of trout is unique to Slovenia.  ("Zlatovcica.")

THE RAIN HAS BABIES--it rained today, and this phrase is used for the Seattle-like place of Slovenia.

SLOVENIAN COOKING
140 RECIPES
63 pages paperback
Trstenik: Zalozba Turistika
2001

Pg. 63:  Glossary:
   Zaseka:  Recipe is on page 17.
   Mlinci:  Mlinci are made of leavened dough (similar to dough for bread), baked in the oven, broken into small pieces and scalded with boiling salted water before serving.  They are usually improved with gravy or "zaseka."

INDEX ON PAGES 62-63
SOUPS
Brown Soup, 6
Broth, 6
Chicken Soup with Meatballs. 7
Bela Krajina Potato SOup, 7
Ljubljana Escargots SOup, 8
Carniolan Crayfish in Soup, 8
Prezganka with Eggs, 8
Potucnca-Fish Soup, 8
Sour Pork Soup, 8
Koroska Wedding Soup, 9
Cream Soup with Buckwheat and Boletus, 9
Cisava Zupa, 9
Chestnut Soup, 9

STEWS AND HOT POTS
CHicken Stew, 10
Sirnica, 10
Chamois Stew, 10
The Ribnica Alleluia, 10
Stajerska Bean Stew, 11
Bograc, 11
Bujta Repa, 11
Ricet, 11
Skuha, 12
Krhljanka Turnip, 12
Turnip Shoots in Salad, 12
Baked Broad Beans with Zaseka, 12
Country-Style Sauerkraut, 9
Zvarcet, 13
Fried Mushrooms, 13
Kolacija, 13
Beans with Cottage Cheese, 13
Cepenca, 14
Primorsko Visce, 14
Cauliflower Bundles, 14
Debelnica, 14

MASOVNIK or MASOVNEK
Masovnik, 15
Masovnik with SOur Milk, 15

KOLINE
Aspic, 16
Grilled Sausages, 16
Gorenjsko Sausages with Porridge Oats, 16
Zaseka, 17
Mezerli, 17
Koroska White Sausages, 18
Mavzlji, 18