Local pronunciation and anglicization.

Tue Jun 3 06:20:36 UTC 2003

I've heard a similar story, too. I heard that the final "s" is pronounced. I
don't think I ever heard that the vowel rhymed with Kansas, though.

Benjamin Barrett
Baking the World a Better Place
www.hiroki.us

FWIW, I grew up pronouncing the final "s" in Des Moines for the city near
Seattle, but not for the one in Iowa.