CLEP

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Wed Jun 4 18:11:35 UTC 2003

At 01:54 PM 6/4/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Beverly Flanigan wrote:
>
> >Clepped?  (I was too, but I never heard of this word.)
>
>CLEP is some kind of standardized test - I did not take it. But in some
>way I tested out of freshman English.
>
>Bethany

It stands for College-Level Examination Program and has been used in verb
form since at least the 80s. It allows you to take a test on the subject
matter in the class and skip the class if you pass. My university didn't
offer the program. It didn't offer freshman comp either.

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times