C. Faulkner on the Possessive Antecedent Proscription

Scott Sadowsky lists at SPANISHTRANSLATOR.ORG
Thu Jun 5 03:19:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Lesa Dill wrote:

> >His comment was about this type of construction--
> >Faulkner's writing style makes him difficult to read.

So what would the prescriptivists have us say?  "Faulkner's writing style
makes itself difficult to read"?

Cheers,
Scott

Scott Sadowsky  --  Spanish-English / English-Spanish Translator

sadowsky at spanishtranslator.org · sadowsky at bigfoot.com
http://www.spanishtranslator.org
"Those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty... only
aid terrorists for they erode our national unity and diminish our
resolve."  -- John Ashcroft

"The reminder is to all Americans that they need to watch what they say,
watch what they do, and that this is not a time for remarks like that." --
Ari Fleischer

"The people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. That is
easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and
denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to
danger." -- Hermann Goering