Fwd: FW: NAACP WINS

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Thu Jun 12 14:37:44 UTC 2003

This is a strangely belated and rather exaggerated response to a
slight alteration in M-W's treatment of slur words.

The piece seems to suggest that ethnic slurs had never been
labelled as offensive in the Collegiate before, when they have been
for many years.  In fact, not only is the N-word stigmatized, it's
given a usage paragraph which states in no uncertain terms how
badly offensive it is. The paragraph has been in the Collegiate since
the tenth edition, in 1993.

The only real change in M-W's policy is that the "usu offensive"
label was moved from the end to the beginning of the definition; this
happened several years ago.

If the NAACP wants to interpret that as a victory, that's great, but it
would be an injustice to suggest that M-W has ever endorsed
racist definitions in its dictionaries.  Unfortunately, many people
have difficulty understanding the concept that dictionary definitions
explain what English speakers mean when they use a particular
word, not what something or someone "is" in ontological sense.

But I'm preaching to the choir, of course.

Joanne Despres
Merriam-Webster