Southland

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Jun 12 22:16:33 UTC 2003

> In a message dated 6/12/2003 3:48:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> dave at WILTON.NET writes:
>
> > ["Southland" is] also used in the movie "Grosse Point Blank," 1994:
> >
> > "MARTIN: I work at Kentucky Fried Chicken.
> > [...]
> > AMY: What do you do?
> > MARTIN: I sell biscuits to the Southland."
>
> There is an obscure double-entendre here.  The 7-11 chain of
> convenience
> stores is owned by the Southland Corporation of Dallas, Texas.

I think coincidence rather than double-entendre. KFC selling biscuits to
7-11? It makes no sense.

In the movie, the character Martin Blank (played by John Cusack) is a
free-lance hit-man who lives in L.A. and returns to his home in Grosse
Pointe, Michigan to attend his high school reunion. In context, it is clear
he is referring to Southern California. (If you haven't seen it, I highly
recommend it. Very funny.)