Re:       Re: QUEER, FAG, and the "N" Word

Fri Jun 13 14:45:06 UTC 2003

I think, too, that the valences of QUEER and FAG may well be changing faster
than dictionaries can keep up with them. This is always a danger with "vulgar"
words.

Even NIGGER was perhaps somewhat more acceptable in the 1970s in certain
circles, e.g. "The White Nigger" and "The Student as Nigger" were two well-known
phrases from that era. Any dictionary maker would have to take such usages into
consideration -- even as early 21st century lexicography should, I think,
make reference to the widespread use of "nigga."