Trudgill in Vocabula

Robert Hartwell Fiske Vocabula at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 16 20:30:55 UTC 2003

<A HREF="mailto:GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU">GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU</A> wrote (without permission):

   Even today -- subjected as we are to the apotheosis of popular
    culture -- using the English language respectfully helps us maintain
    a sense of ourselves and our values. To do otherwise, to disregard
    the ways of our words, is to forsake our humanity and, perhaps, even
    forfeit our future. A society is generally as lax as its language.
    And in a society of this sort, easiness and mediocrity are much
    esteemed.

Well written, don't you think? That paragraph is no longer on the Vocabula
site, so where you found it I am not sure. TVR's manifesto, which I dare say
will thwart your interest still more, is this:

Along with the evolution of language — the thousands of neologisms that new
technologies and new thinking have brought about, for instance — there has been
a concurrent, if perhaps less recognizable, devolution of language. The
English language has become more precise for some users of it while becoming more
plodding for others. Not a small part of this new cumbrousness is due to the
loss of distinctions between words, the misuse of words, and other abuses of
language.

That a U.S. presidential candidate can cry Is our children learning, an
admired basketball star can use the word conversate, a well-known college professor
can say vociferous when he means voracious, and another can scold a student
for using the word juggernaut because she believes it means jigaboo is
disturbing. The Vocabula Review strives to combat the degradation of our language.

Equally important, we celebrate its opulence and its elegance. The English
language is wonderfully expressive and infinitely flexible. There are many
thousands of words and many hundreds of ways in which to use them. The Vocabula
Review seeks to promote the richness of our language.

In sum, TVR battles nonstandard, careless English and embraces clear,
expressive English. We hope we can encourage our readers to do as much.

***

More interesting than the TVR manifesto though is the feeling among some ADS
members that if you are politically liberal minded you must surely be a
descriptivist. Still more fascinating is the apparent conservatism (and of course
judgmentalism) of descriptivists who seem wholly unwilling to entertain other,
more catholic views. I also write on one of TVR's free pages:

> The Vocabula Review — not meant to be solely a forum for our prejudices —
> invites readers to submit articles about issues related to the English
> language. In the spirit of thoughtful inquiry and personal essays, we wish to
> encourage writers to submit articles about what they themselves think.
> Well-written, insightful, creative articles are far more appealing to us than
> overreferenced, overannotated articles. What's important to us is not what everyone
> else has ever thought but a clear presentation of one's own thoughts. Today,
> there are few opportunities for people to enjoy the freedom that comes with
> writing for oneself and others in a nonacademic way. The Vocabula Review offers
> one such opportunity.

Trudgill's article is in the June issue (and one or two articles by ADS
members have appeared in earlier issues of Vocabula).

Robert Hartwell Fiske
Editor and Publisher
The Vocabula Review
www.vocabula.com