"ad hominem" attacks? I don't think so

Tue Jun 17 16:15:24 UTC 2003

I'm puzzled. Maybe I missed something. Where, in any of this discussion, has
there been a SINGLE   "attack on persons, rather than ideas"?

Nobody has said that Mr. Fiske is stupid, or ugly, or wicked. Nobody has said
that his ideas cannot possibly be trustworthy because he has ulterior
motives, or brain damage, or beats his wife. (I should add that I think we can all
assume that these things are definitely NOT true.)

A number of professional linguists HAVE disagreed here with his ideas, and
criticized his own adherence to prescriptivist rules in his writing (which I
even went so far as to satirize with a poem). In response, there has been almost
nothing that responded to the IDEAS in the critical responses. Instead, we see
only responses such as the ones below, in which the writers seem to be
objecting simply to the fact that professional linguists disagree--sometimes
vehemently, sometimes bluntly--with prescriptivist statements.

If there are "ad hominem" attacks anywhere in all this, it is from responders
who--rather than addressing the IDEAS in the linguists' responses--merely
take the linguists to task for impoliteness. Avoiding and deflecting the issues
in this way is often the response of folks who have run out of ideas but have
strong--if inchoate--feelings nonetheless.