Vocabula

Greg Pulliam pulliam at IIT.EDU
Tue Jun 17 20:53:00 UTC 2003

Dennis is right on the money in paragraph three below.  People like
Fiske (and many of my non-linguist colleagues, BTW) assume that
because they are highly competent *users* of language, they are also
experts on its structure. This would be like me thinking that because
I am a very good driver, I know how cars are built.

I also think that many people feel very threatened by language change
and variation.  You can see this in the TVR's motto, which appears to
be based on a real, if unfounded and therefore illogical, fear that
the language changes taking place around us are some sort of vanguard
of social and cultural change--for the worse.

I have found that my truly liberal colleagues can be persuaded that
such fears are not logical. The ones whose cultural and political
views lean toward preserving the Anglo-American culture and canon in
the face of a perceived onslaught from Latinos, Asians, Africans,
Arabs, Indians, etc., usually do what Mr. Fiske did when they are
confronted with clear and copious evidence showing that (1) their
ideas are wrong and (2) they make exactly the same sorts of errors
they decry in others: they try to change the subject, usually by
asking why I have to be so mean.

Greg

--
-