Cevapcici, Raznici (1935)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 17 23:44:24 UTC 2003

   "Cevapcici" was seen all over.  I had posted a 1939 date in the archives.  It's still not in OED?
   Here are some notes from a few books.  NYPL note:  The "Access Card" rules go into effect next week.

STONES, HILLTOPS AND THE SEA:
SOME JUGO-SLAVIAN IMPRESSIONS
by Ruth Alexander
London: Alston Rivers Ltd.
1929

Pg. 84:  You will see "La Trappe" printed on the labels of most of the cheeses you buy in the district, for the industry is prolific and far-famed.
(I didn't visit the monastery--ed.)

THE NATIVE'S RETURN:
AN AMERICAN IMMIGRANT VISITS YUGOSLAVIA AND DISCOVERS HIS OLD COUNTRY
by Louis Adamic
New York: Harper & Brothers
1934

Pg. 73:  There were pitchers and bottles of wine, cider, and prune brandy; loaves of bread, platters of home-cured ham and _klobase_ (smoked sausages), with raw horseradish, and bowls of dried fruit of the previous year.

Pg. 88:  The herders milk the cows and send the rich milk to the _zadruga's_ cheese factory in the village, a thoroughly modern plant, where other employees of the cooperative convert it into _bohinski sir_ (Bohin cheese), which, when properly aged, is held superior by many Central European restaurateurs to some Swiss cheeses.

BALKAN HOLIDAY
by David Footman
London: William Heinemann Ltd.
1935

Pg. 60:  Slivovica is spirit distilled from plums and there are two kinds of it, the meka, once distilled, and the ljuta or prepecenica, which is twice distilled and much stronger and generally better.  But the waiter was right.  This meka was particularly good.  It often is in Macedonia.

Pg. 181:  Then we had more to eat, home-made maize bread, new and heavy, and kajmak which is neither butter nor cream-cheese nor yoghourt but something between the three of them.

Pg. 185:  They had good slivovica there and a gipsy band and a cevapdzija.  A cevapdzija is a man who prepares cevapcici, which are little rissoles of minced meat, as big round as one's little finger and about half as long.  They should be eaten with chopped raw onion.  When they are good they are very good, and these were excellent.  After the cevapcici I had some raznici, which are little lumps of veal grilled on a skewer.  They are also eaten with raw onion, and I prefer them to cevapcici.  Later on in the evening I had a culbastija, which is like a naturschnitzel, and later still, some time after midnight, I had a grilled goose's liver.  We had quite a lot of slivovice and went on to white wine.

WANDERINGS IN YUGOSLAVIA
by Nora Alexander
London: Skeffington & Son Ltd.
1936

Pg. 28:  Here they conveyed the table of state, played three stools round it, and upon it a huge bowl of _chimac_ (a kind of soft sour cheese), three spoons, a loaf of maize bread.