Weaponsgate (WMD buzzword); Pig Picking (BBQ term)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 18 01:58:40 UTC 2003

WEAPONSGATE

   Another "-gate."  It's mentioned in this week's VILLAGE VOICE (www.villagevoice.com).  From the Dow Jones news service are these recent hits:

     1
  Weaponsgate?
The Cincinnati Post, 06/16/2003, 427 words.
As justification in the run up to the war in Iraq, President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and the secretaries of Defense and State repeatedly and unequivocally asserted that Iraq possessed ...

   2
  WEAPONSGATE?
The Commercial Appeal Memphis, TN, 06/15/2003, 395 words.
TO HELP justify the war in Iraq, President Bush, Vice President Cheney and the secretaries of Defense and State repeatedly and unequivocally asserted that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass ...

   3
  Hotline Extra For June 7, 2003
National Journal, 06/07/2003, 1513 words.
Focus on the Rural After watching rural voters flock to Republicans, Democrats are making an effort to reach out to people in small towns. But only ...

   4
  Below the Fold
Fox News: Fox News Sunday, 06/01/2003, 4105 words.
SNOW: Now let's check out some political stories we found this week below the fold. There are some interesting trends from the world of public opinion ...

PIG PICKING

   Is this not in the latest DARE?  (NYU keeps the latest volume behind the desk.  Columbia does this for the HDAS.)
   It's not in OED.  There are almost 1000 Google "pig-picking" hits.  Most are associated with North Carolina or South Carolina.
   I need the WASHINGTON POST for this.  I checked, and neither the NYPL nor NYU has the WASHINGTON POST, either.  Maybe I'll visit the Library of Congress in a few days.  Make any requests now.

(DOW JONES)
FOOD
Wedding alert
LESLIE WATTS
Staff
06/26/1985
Houston Chronicle
NO STAR
18
(...)
Menus and recipes are furnished for everything from a ``pig picking`'' to a high English tea wedding reception - there are wedding breakfasts, brunches, luncheons, dinners, coffees, teas, receptions and other get-togethers of every size and degree of formality. You will discover that North Carolina barbecue is ``in'' - presumably that applies to Texas barbecue as well.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
  A Virginian's Boston Barbecue; By MARIAN BURROS, CAMBRIDGE, Mass.; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Oct 5, 1988; pg. C10, 1 pgs
("Pig picking is an ancient Southern art to remove the meat in shreds, which then find their way into sandwiches made with white bread or white rolls.")

(GOOGLE GROUPS)