The American Diatribe Society?

Wed Jun 18 15:11:55 UTC 2003

Hee-hee. Talk about vituperative (and ad hominem attacks)!

I agree with Gerald, it is time we stop wasting our lives and energies
responding to this man's complaints about how stujpid we are and how unfair we all
are to him. Notice--again--that there is no attempt at intellectual engagement
with the reasoned arguments of "the linguists," only unsubstantiated ex
catherdra pronouncements about how wrong we are and self-righteous indignation at
the TONE of the responses (and vague ridiculous threats of lawsuits).

On another list to which I subscribe, a member was banned from further
postings because she insisted on writing messages that were clearly off topic. I do
NOT advocate that we do that here, but I do suggest that if Mr. Fiske
continues to post messages that say nothing about LANGUAGE (but which merely complain
about how putatively ill he has been treated), he be politely warned by the
List officials that this is the American Dialect Society List, not the American
Diatribe Society List.