Doofus /Historical Slang

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Jun 19 23:21:44 UTC 2003

    My particular perspective on historical slang-lexicography is that
of a researcher whose work (and that which I edit) will be drawn upon
by lexicographers. And I certainly see such lexicography as a valid
endeavor, providing compiled material for further detailed slang
research.

   Here's one example. I spent some six years (not full time) working
on the origin of the term "shyster." The earliest attestations
(1843-1844) of the term were drawn to my attention by librarian Roger
Mohovich, and those attestations opened the way to discovering the
whole story behind the origin of term.

     I wrote two monographs on the term and over the years followed
this up with several articles (some material was provided by Barry
Popik).  In the first of the monographs I include (among other
things) a list of all the early attestations, permitting a close look
at the early history of the
term. I also of course provide an overall view of what happened.

     This material can now be used by lexicographers, just as Allen
Walker Read's detailed study of "O.K." can be used. Other examples
(just a few of many): "hot dog", "The Big Apple," "dude."

    Jonathan Lighter's _Historical Dictionary of American Slang_ is a
significant compilation of material. It will no doubt be improved as
further research into slang origins is conducted, but meanwhile the
news of its continued publication is cause for rejoicing.

Gerald Cohen