Nigerian letter

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Jun 23 20:06:29 UTC 2003

>At 2:34 PM -0500 6/23/03, Dan Goodman wrote:
>
>It's obvious that most variations of  the Nigerian Letter are written by
>people whose knowledge of English is shaky.   Is it possible to tell
>what their native languages are?   For example:  [snip]

Maybe the shaky English is there on purpose to help convey a sense of
authenticity. Message: Despite my poor English, please be moved by my
heart-rending story (+ the chance for untold riches for yourself) to
accept my story as valid and act upon it.

    If the Nigerian-letter scammers wanted a well-written letter, they
could have asked any educated native-speaker of English to help
prepare one.

Gerald Cohen