Debris & Muffuletta (Jan. 1967)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 23 20:59:38 UTC 2003

   NEW ORLEANS magazine began in 1966.  This copy is a hard to read in the center near the binding, so I hope it's right...I found nice "French bread" and "red beans and rice" articles, also.

   January 1967, NEW ORLEANS, pg. 60:
_DINING_
_New Orleans' ironic sandwich empire._

Pg. 60, col. 3:  Mother's is a typical case in point.  People crowd the Poydras Street shop to taste Ferdie's Special, a combination of roast beef and ham, ordering it with or without "debris" the outerskin (or cracklin) of that meat.  ("Easy on the ham, easy on the roast beef, and heavy on the debris.")
  (Now called "debris sandwich."  See ADS-L archives--ed.)

Pg. 62, col. 2:  The Muffuletta, a Swiss cheese, Genoa salami, ham, martadella and olive salad combination registers 1,390 calories; Ferdie's Special has 1,194; and Mumphrey Special contains 1,500 calories.