relevant indeed

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Thu Jun 26 22:46:25 UTC 2003

Nicely told and retold. One interesting sidelight of Bolinger's
remarks is that old-fashioned prescriptivists steeped in the
tradition of Latin grammar would not have been tempted to describe
the genitive as an adjective, which after alll would be inconsistent
with the notion of its being an inflection of the noun. That may help
to explain why this particular rule didn't surface until recent
times, when the critical tradition was becoming increasingly thin and
middlebrow.

Geoff