early New England Pronunciation

Dan Goodman dsgood at VISI.COM
Fri Jun 27 04:38:08 UTC 2003

Date:    Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:52:45 -0700
From:    FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US>
Subject: Re: Query: Oral Discourse in Revolutionary Boston

Have you seen this:
Orbeck, Anders    Early New England Pronunciation    Michigan: George
Wahr, 1927 .

Thanks -- just the thing to answer a question I have about a science
fiction novel.   There's a scene in which two men are listening to a
tape recording of the Founding Fathers.  (Time travel makes this kind of
thing much easier.)
  One remarks that most people would be quite surprised by Franklin's
Boston accent and Jefferson's hill country accent.

So -- now I can check how much Franklin's Boston accent might resemble
any contemporary Boston accent.

Next after that will be finding out what Jefferson's dialect was likely
to have been.

Dan Goodman dsgood at visi.com
journal http://dsgood.blogspot.com
Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.