who will pick up the gauntlet?

David Colburn colburn at PEOPLEPC.COM
Sun Mar 2 04:42:54 UTC 2003

Here's the link to the full Safire column, for anyone interested:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/02/magazine/02ONLANGUAGE.html

Safire seems convinced that the 1940's military tape called "duck tape" was
indeed a direct precursor of what later became known as "duct tape," even
citing the manufacturer and function of the tape (Johnson & Johnson,
waterproofing ammo boxes).

The theory Safire's proposes is also repeated on this web site dedicated to
duct tape:
http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/DT101/index.html

Last week, I asked the folks at that web site what their documentation was
(I didn't realize Safire was also chasing this etymology down). They
responded to me by email saying, "All I can tell you is that that's the
story we've gotten from the historians at the Johnson and Johnson Permacel
division and other duct tape companies."

I was still skeptical, but I assume Safire did his homework and didn't take
a hobbyist web site's word for it. I'm looking forward to other comments on
this, because I was surprised when I saw the "duck tape" theory being
recounted unskeptically in various publications recently. If it's true, it's
pretty fascinating.

-David Colburn