Shrimp and Grits (1989)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 3 23:49:19 UTC 2003

   "Shrimp and grits" is not in the latest volume of DARE, which contains "shrimp."
   I'll look in my Charleston cookbooks a little later.  The NEW YORK TIMES is awful.  Boy, would I like to see two old Southern newspapers such as the NEW ORLEANS TIMES-PICAYUNE and the ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION digitized soon.

   3 May 1989, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. C1:
   Butt's meat, they explained, is salted pork jowl.  No one knows why it's called that, but chopped up and sauteed, it is a fundamental ingredient for a dish of shrimp and grits, as well as dozens of other sauces, soups and stews that are central to Charleston cuisine.