"hudags" in an 1861 Civil War letter

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 4 16:14:41 UTC 2003

At 10:50 AM -0500 3/4/03, Beverly Flanigan wrote:
>As in "dag nab it"?  Or where did that phrase come from?

I think that's one of the countless euphemisms for "goddamn it".  I
suppose if "dag" is a development of "dog", which of course is "God"
spelled backward (cf. "doggone it"), and "nab" derives from "damn" by
reversal and substitution of labials for and by coronals, we can get
from "goddamn" to "dagnab".