What do /a/ and /O/ merge to?

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Tue Mar 4 23:34:53 UTC 2003

Southern Ohio is like southern Indiana, and I've written on this in an LVC
article a couple years ago (look under Flanigan and Norris 2000).  This
merger almost to /O/ (but not quite--it's actually between /a/ and /O/, the
"turned script a" of Kenyon, Kurath and McDavid, and others) starts in
western PA and spreads southwestward along the Ohio River; it's in
Youngstown and downward.  But it's also in the Toronto area (essentially
the same, though a bit more "British").  So it's a merger, as Labov says in
the Atlas, but he doesn't deal with the "merger toward what" issue, as I
do.  A good test I've used with my regional students is to ask them to
transcribe 'body', 'doll', 'on' and 'polish' as well as the usual 'cot' and
'caught'--and they typically use /O/ for all of them.  (I teach them basic
IPA, without all the in-between niceties, so they have a forced choice
between /a/ and /O/.)  A couple of people have suggested that western PA
has lost the phoneme /O/ but has kept a phonemic distinction between /a/
and /turned script a/, and I agree for this area; /a/ is of course used in
'father' and other words of that set.

Beverly Flanigan
Ohio University