Pronunciation of bin Laden's org in the media

Sat Mar 15 12:11:19 UTC 2003

How we treat stressed and unstressed foreign vowels (the latter
usually with schwa, which is what happened with the second syllable
of "Helmut") are surely separate questions.

If I wanted to be insulting to somebody named Saddam (at least around
those who had read or heard tales from the Old Testament) I think I
would go for "Sodom" rather than ['saed at m] (lacking information about
any Arabic insult contained in the latter).

dInIs