What do /a/ and /O/ merge to?

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed Mar 5 20:07:44 UTC 2003

On environments:  J.C. Wells, in _Accents of English 3_ (non-British Isles,
here AmEng),  cites K & McD on the different merger realizations, of
course, and also Wetmore on western PA and Hankey on eastern OH.  Quoting
Bailey (1973), he suggests the change toward merger as affecting first __tV
words, such as 'naughty', then those with following alveolars ('caught',
'dawn'--though some distinguish the nasal set as later, I believe), then
those with following velars ('hawk').  He notes Allen's (1976) claim that U
of Minnesota students even then tended to have only /a/ except before /r/
and claims that this goes at least as far west as Utah and even California
(my two Utahan colleagues both have Don/dawn merger at /a/, and Matt
suggests that Nebraska does too).  Wells says that some words are still
highly variable though, like 'fog', 'water', and 'wash' (see pp. 473-476),
but they aren't down here.  He says nothing about following /l/, but in
southern Ohio the merger to 'turned script a' (intermediate between /a/ and
/O/) occurs in words like 'collar' and 'caller' too--as well as in 'color',
where the schwa (or wedge) has lowered and backed.  So these are worth
checking out in Indiana!