Saddam's voice

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Mar 6 23:11:58 UTC 2003

Forgive me if this has been noted already.
In the Dan Rather interview, Saddam Hussein's responses were apparently dubbed with an English translation. Ididn't see the interview so I'm going by press reports.
They hired translators to get the English text but they hired an actor to do the  voice over. The actor is a native speaker of English who did the reading in a faux Arabic accent.

This is a nice example of 'character-building' through accent. It's reminiscient of the Disney examples  discussed by Rosina Lippi-Green in English with an Accent.