Velvet Cakes (1851); No VARIETIES OF CHEESE in NYPL

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 7 02:15:09 UTC 2003

VELVET CAKES (continued)

THE CAROLINA HOUSEWIFE
Charleston, S.C.: W. R. Babcock
1851
(Gerritsen Collection online)

Pg. 18:
      VELVET CAKES.
   One quart of milk, one of wheat flour, three eggs, one gill of yeast.  Mix all together, and when well rises, stir in a large spoonful of butter.  Bake in muffin rings.

"WINDY CITY" ERROR OF THE DAY

   From LEXIS/NEXIS.  I'm a great deal less important than a dead cow, and nothing that I say or do seems to matter, and if it does matter I'm not given credit for it, but someone from England might try to write in a letter and see if they'll correct this:

Copyright 2003 EXPRESS NEWSPAPERS
Sunday Express
March 2, 2003

SECTION: FEATURES; Pg. 75
LENGTH: 1158 words

HEADLINE: TRAVEL - DEREK LAMBIE DISCOVERS ALL THE RAZZLE-DAZZLE OF THE US CITY THAT SPAWNED CAPONE AND THE BLUES; CHICAGO AND ALL THAT JAZZ

BODY:
IT was once just synonymous with gangster Al Capone and its unrivalled tradition of jazz and blues. But the bustling city of Chicago is now just as well known for its "razzle dazzle" as it is for The Untouchables, its musical heritage or its tall buildings.

In the past few months, the worldwide success of the stage show Chicago and subsequent Hollywood movie have propelled the Windy City to new heights.
(...)
Chicago's nickname, the Windy City, actually refers to its blustery politicians who lobbied to host the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.
(...)

VARIETIES OF CHEESE

   I took a nap and waited for that e-mail or phone call from Regis Philbin that of course never came.  David Letterman wouldn't treat pets like this.
   Then I went over to the NYPL's Science, Industry and Business Library on 34th Street to check out these US Government microfilms:

VARIETIES OF CHEESE (1908)
DAIRYING IN CALIFORNIA (1896)
CHEESE INDUSTRY OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK (1896)
COLD CURING OF CHEESE
CAMEMBERT TYPE OF SOFT CHEESE IN THE U. S. (1905)
REPORT ON DAIRY INDUSTRY OF DENMARK

   Nothing came back.  All were "missing."
   All the classmarks are CIS *XLF-373 US EXEC MF A403-5 or similar.  The NYPL page made a special check.  The entire shelf was missing.  I went to the librarian, who checked himself.  No one could find it.
   I told them that I had used a similar government series microfilm for BEANS, where I had antedated "pinto bean."
   I was told to write a letter to the head librarian of the division.  (It's too much trouble for them to do it for me.)
   I'll probably have to make a special trip to the Library of Congress on Saturday (parking tickets tomorrow) or next week to get these publications.  It is for this that I have made "thousand" of dollars during my lifetime.
   I then took a train to Columbia University.  This sign was in the subway car:

FELLING DEPRESSED?
Nationally recognized
experts in depression
offer FREE treatment
in research studies
at Columbia University
call (212) 543-5734
Columbia University
Depression Evaluation Service
www.depression-nyc.org

   I'M NOT FEELING DEPRESSED!  I WANT SOMEONE TO SHOOT ME IN THE HEAD!