Tar Heel (March 1864)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 7 05:22:34 UTC 2003

   The American Civil War Letters & Diaries database is from the same folks who brought you the North American Women's Letters & Diaries database.
   I didn't see "Great Scott" in this period.  It was allegedly used in the newly discovered diary that I'd posted here.
   This is a very good "Tar Heel."  The American Periodical Series and the BROOKLYN EAGLE can't beat it:

1. Lee, Walter, ?-1865(?). "Letter from Walter Lee, March 29, 1864"
[Page 110 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
in an uproar in less than two minutes after he arose. He said it did not sound right to him to address us as "Fellow Soldiers," because he was not one of us-- he used to be until he shirked out of the service for a little office down in North Carolina, so now he would address us as "Fellow Tar Heels," as we always stick. I was in a good place to hear every word that he said, and I don't think I ever listened to a more able speech of the kind in my life. It was very able and deep, interspersed with anecdotes, illustration of his subject, which kept the men from feeling fatigued. The

Results Bibliography
Lee, Walter, ?-1865(?), Letter from Walter Lee, March 29, 1864, in Forget-me-nots of the Civil War: a Romance, Containing Reminiscences and Original Letters of Two Confederate Soldiers. Battle, Laura Elizabeth. Press of A. R. Fleming Printing Co., 1909, pp. 355. S1585-D042 [Bibliographic Details] [3-29-1864] LeeWal:L1585-42

Produced in collaboration with the University of Chicago.
Send mail to Editor at AlexanderSt.com  with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 2001 Alexander Street Press, LLC.  All rights reserved.
PhiloLogic Software, Copyright © 2001 The University of Chicago.