beyond the pail

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Sat Mar 8 03:06:59 UTC 2003

Growing up in Michigan and Wisconsin, it was crick and pail.  I was taught
as a
boy that bucket was hillbilly talk, meaning anyone south of the Michigan
border.

Herb

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Alice Faber
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 10:04 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: beyond the pail

Peter A. McGraw wrote:
>--On Friday, March 7, 2003 2:23 PM -0800 Kim & Rima McKinzey
><rkmck at EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:
>
>>For me, raised NYC, I took a pail and shovel to the beach, but I
>>certainly knew bucket ("There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear
>>Liza...")
>>
>>There was never a crick - unless it was in your neck.
>
>That's 'cause they ain't no cricks in NYC EXCEPT the kind you get in your
>neck from gawkin' at them skyscrapers.

Not only that...I first encountered "God willing and the crick don't
rise" as "Im yirtse hashem and the creek don't rise" (from a friend
born and raised in Jackson Heights, Queens, NYC). ("Im yirtse hashem"
being Hebrew for "God willing")

==
Alice Faber
faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163
x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203)
865-8963