Brooklynese (1899); Dill Pickle (1894); Easter Bunny (1900, 1902)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 8 17:19:13 UTC 2003

   The BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE just stopped working on me.  This happened
several days this past week.  It just won't open up the articles.
   An OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY check shows only 119 total hits for
"Brooklyn."  The BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE is mentioned 11 times out of that 119.
In the new OED revision (just part of one letter "m"), there are 22 more
hits, and the BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE is mentioned once.
   The article "Dictionary of the Barroom," 11 September 1891, pg. 11,
provides OED's first "rumdum" or "rum-dumb" and is worth reprinting, once I
get to see it again.

BROOKLYNESE

   OED has one 1946 hit for the "Brooklynese" language.  This is the only hit
here.

   16 March 1899, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, pg. 7:
   The Bijou will have a new farce comedy next week which is both American
and Brooklynese; being written by Robert J. Donnelly of this borough, author
of several successful plays.

DILL PICKLE

   The full text NEW YORK TIMES has 1895.

   20 July 1894, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, "THE WALLABOUT MARKET," pg. 9:
   ...dill, for pickling, 25c per dozen bunches.

   19 September 1897, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, pg. 10:
   DILL PICKLE.
(A recipe--ed.)

"CORNED BEEF AND."

   More hash house slang.

   28 October 1888, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, pg. 15:
   "One plate of corned beef and."

EASTER BUNNY

   See previous posts on "Easter bunny" and "Easter rabbit" and "chocolate
Easter bunny."  Easter's coming.

   31 March 1885, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, pg. 3:
   ...Easter rabbits...

   8 April 1900, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, pg. 21 ad:
   _CANDY_. (...)
   Easter Rabbits.

   14 March 1902, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, pg. 10 ad:
  _The Easter Novelties in the Candy Store._
   Bunnies, of course--whoever heard of an Easter that could be any good at
all without Mr. Rabbit and Mrs. Rabbit and all of the family of little
Bunnies and dozens of chickens and ducks and all of their kin?  And if there
is a candy box somewhere about them, so much the better.
(...)
   Chocolate Eggs, Ducks, Rabbits and Chickens are 5c to $1.00.

AMBULANCE CHASER

   We have 1897, and I couldn't beat that.  But this is a nice story and
there are some articles of interest to you lawyers out there.

   11 December 1898, BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE, pg. 6:
   _Ambulance Chasers and Others._