Qantas and accidents (Was: More airline humor)

Steve Cornelius scorn at PACIFIC.NET.AU
Sat Mar 8 21:11:03 UTC 2003

James A Landau wrote:

><snip> By the way, QANTAS is the only
>major airline that has never had an accident. <snip>

This claim gained some currency from the movie "Rainman", if I remember
rightly. Apologies if this is a little OT, but I think you may mean "never
had a FATAL accident".

Here are two references to Qantas accidents (admittedly, way back in 1949
and 1960) which damaged the aircraft enough to write them off:

http://www.aviation-safety.net/database/1949/490407-0.htm
http://www.aviation-safety.net/database/1960/600824-1.htm

And much more recently, here's an account of Qantas' celebrated
runway-overshoot incident (Bangkok 1999). This was certainly an accident,
but luckily it didn't kill any of the 410 people on board.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/incidents/19990922-0.htm

They also had a little problem in Rome in 2000. Just key "Qantas" and
"accident" into a Google search and see what you get.

Here you'll find a complete list of airlines which have had no fatal
accidents since 1970. Surprisingly and reassuringly, there are lots of them:

http://www.airsafe.com/events/nofatals.htm

Regards
Steve Cornelius
Sydney, Australia