Vatapa (1939); McFedries & Metcalf AP article

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 9 12:01:28 UTC 2003

VATAPA--His name should read "Antonio Ramos," but I was getting tired...There
are about 900 Google "vatapa" hits...Some ADS-L readers such as Dennis
Preston or Kathleen Miller have perhaps had it in Brazil.
   WEBSTER'S NEW WORLD DICTIONARY OF CULINARY ARTS has:
_vatapa_ (vah-tah-pah) A Brazilian stew consisting of fish, shrimp, chicken
and/or meat combined with dried shrimp, coconut milk, peanuts, dende oil and
other ingredients.

DANISH PASTRY--Rec.food.historic has some scholars on it, but jeez.  Should I
tell them who I am?:
From: <A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=author:gezgin%40spamcop.net+">Opinicus</A> (<A HREF="mailto:gezgin%40spamcop.net">gezgin at spamcop.net</A>)
Subject: "Danish pastry" + history
Newsgroups: <A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.food.historic">rec.food.historic</A>
Date: 2003-03-03 12:20:50 PST
A search on Google of "Danish pastry" followed by "history" failed to turn up
an acceptable answer to the burning question of why is the sickly sweet
pastry sold in the United States (and elsewhere?) as "Danish" blamed on that
otherwise innocuous country?--Bob Kanyak's Doghouse <A HREF="http://kanyak.com/">http://kanyak.com</A>

McFEDRIES & METCALF IN AP STORY--In Sunday's NEW YORK POST is an Associated
Press story by Michelle Locke titled "How the 'Net has changed the way we use
words."  It's a few days old.  Here's a link:

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/065/economy/Data_mining_software_digs_up_bP.sh

tml