"Windy City" wrong in NY TIMES BOOK REVIEW(3-9-03)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 10 23:45:54 UTC 2003

   Could someone write on my behalf to the NEW YORK TIMES?  The NEW YORK SUN?  How many years must this go on?  My work was/is in the WALL STREET JOURNAL, the Straight Dope web site, World Wide Words web site, the Weather Doctor's web site, and the USA TODAY weather guy's web site.  And, especially, here on the American Dialect Society site.  MUST THIS HAPPEN EVERY DAY????
   I read on Sunday that Renee Zellwegger was exercising at CRUNCH health club on East 58th Street and Second Avenue, a block away from me.  Maybe, out of kindness and mercy, _she_ could shoot me?

Barry "Mister Cellophane" Popik

Section (SE) Book Review Desk; Section 7
Headline (HD) A Real-Life Bates Motel
Byline (BY) By David Traxel
Word Count (WC) 1,136
Publication Date (PD)  03/09/2003
Publication Name (SN) The New York Times
Source Code (SC)  NYTF
Page (PG) Page 15, Column 1
Category (CAT) Review
Notes (PS) David Traxel is the author of ''1898: The Birth of the American Century.'' He is working on a history of the United States in World War I.
Copyright (CY) c. 2003 New York Times Company
Lead Paragraph (LP) THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY
Murder, Magic, and Madness
at the Fair That Changed America.
By Erik Larson.
Illustrated. 447 pp. New York:
Crown Publishers. $25.95.

Text (TD)   UNTIL 50 years ago, world's fairs were a favored way for a nation to boast of its technical, artistic and social progress. The Paris Exposition of 1889, a glamorous display of cultural sophistication and engineering expertise, helped to establish the model. Gustav Eiffel's thousand-foot tower, the tallest structure in the world, was particularly galling to Americans, who were jealous of their own reputation as builders of great works in steel and iron. The United States government decided to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Columbus's discovery of America by sponsoring a world's fair, which would, not incidentally, offer an opportunity to outdo the French.
Chicago won the fierce competition to be the site of the World's Columbian Exposition in spite of doubts about its ability to measure up to the challenge. It had, after all, been labeled the ''Windy City'' by a New York editor not for its breezy lakeside location but for the scale of local braggadocio. (...)