FW: Jarlsberg cheese (1963, 1965)

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Mar 11 10:12:58 UTC 2003

Well, that'll teach me to open my big mouth re nailing an etym.  Barry posts
good stuff one day, then comes back a couple days, later antedating himself
(see below).

So maybe there was a "real" Jarlsberg before some smart Norwegian decided to
manufacture it?  Does the ur-Jarlsberg still exist, in Norway?  Do they make
the other stuff in a factory, for export only?  Does the factory version
even get made in Norway any longer?

(If you can brew Guinness outside Ireland, and Sam Adams in Pittsburgh, you
can probably make Jarlsberg anywhere, it seems to me.  Just make sure the
milkfat content of the milk is right, import the rennet or rennin that they
use in Norway, pour that in, say "Yumpin' Yiminy" over the vat, stand back,
and pretty soon you have Jarlsberg!)

Any Norwegians, or others, who can help clarify this?  I'm downright
constipated by it all.

Frank Abate

   I'm back with my databases.

   23 April 1963, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 32:
   Other particularly interesting cheeses include Norwegian Jarlsberg;...

   1 December 1965, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 33 ad for Daitch Shopwell
supermarket:
   IMPORTED JARLSBERG  (SWISS) NORWEGIAN lb. 89c