publisher for the False Etymology Book

Tue Mar 11 17:31:40 UTC 2003

I'm glad to see that Frank likes the idea, and that he thinks that it would
be commercially viable. I have my own biases, of course, but it seems to me
that if the book were published as a scholarly mongraph (i.e, as a
PUBLICATION OF THE AMERICAN DIALECT SOCIETY number) it would carry more
weight with the world of journalists than something that seemed designed
primarily to make money. And as a PADS volume it would also be instantly
distributed to all the major libraries in the world, as well as to the most
important of the journalistic opinion-makers (Safire, whatever you may think
about him, generally is meticulous about researching traditional scholarly
materials, if not letters to the editor and list-serve opinions).

<BLOCKQUOTE CITE STYLE="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px> What Larry H says below in response to Barry P's lament is right on.  A book