beyond the pail

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Tue Mar 11 18:37:09 UTC 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Peter A. McGraw wrote:

#To the best of my recollection, "bucket" has always been the first choice
#and "pail" a possible second choice (except in the case of "lunch pail")
#everywhere I've lived.   But I clearly remember "crick" as one of the
#things that struck me about the speech of my rural Oregon relatives when we
#moved there from So. California in the early 50s.

Growing up in NYC and Westchester in the 50s and 60s, I learned "pail",
with "bucket"  secondary.

-- Mark A. Mandel