"hudags"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Mar 11 21:31:25 UTC 2003

>Is there any connection between this word and "hodad", a word
>(formerly?) used by surfers to mean a non-surfer?

"Hodad" has been likened to "hodag" (the mythical animal) but HDAS
considers "hodag" dubious as the ancestor of the California "hodad", giving
the alternative possibility of the salutation "Ho, dad" ... which seems
somewhat plausible to me with "dad" as a beatnik anachronism which would in
the 1960's have characterized one as unhip in certain circles perhaps.

The hudags were presumably unhip too, so one might suspect a connection ...
but the milieux are not obviously contiguous.

-- Doug Wilson