Freedom Toast/Fries in Washington, DC

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 12 00:48:05 UTC 2003

   I have to start practicing my Freedom Kissing.  I'll need some Freedom Letters eventually, too.  If I play chess again, I'll probably try the Freedom Defense.  If I start plawriting again, I'll try to get my play published by Samuel Freedom.

French Fries Get New Name in Congress
Tue Mar 11, 1:57 PM ET  Add Politics - U. S. Congress to My Yahoo!

By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Show the flag and pass the ketchup was the order of the day in House cafeterias Tuesday. Lawmakers struck a lunchtime blow against the French and put "freedom fries" on the menu.

AP Photo

AP Photo
 Slideshow: French Fries Renamed 'Freedom Fries' In Congress

Latest news:
· Britain, Canada Try to Break Iraq Impasse
AP - 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
· Iraq Destroys More Al Samoud Missiles
AP - Tue Mar 11, 1:17 PM ET
· Bush Lobbies World Leaders on Iraq Vote
AP - Tue Mar 11,11:31 AM ET
Special Coverage

And for breakfast they'll now have "freedom toast."

The name changes follow similar actions by restaurants around the country protesting French opposition to the administration's Iraq (news - web sites) war plans.

"Update. Now Serving in All House Office Buildings, 'Freedom Fries,'" read a sign that Republican Reps. Bob Ney of Ohio and Walter Jones of North Carolina placed at the register in the Longworth Office Building food court.

Jones said he was inspired by Cubbie's restaurant in Beaufort, N.C., in his district, one of the first to put "freedom fries" on the menu instead of french fries.

"This action today is a small but symbolic effort to show the strong displeasure of many on Capitol Hill with the actions of our so-called ally, France," said Ney, chairman of the House Administration Committee.

Ney, whose panel oversees House operations, ordered the menu changes.

The French Embassy in Washington had no immediate comment, except to say that french fries actually come from Belgium.

Ney said he was of French descent and "once the French government comes around we can get back to talking about french fries."