Bra Burning (1968)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 12 04:23:50 UTC 2003

In a message dated 3/11/2003 9:35:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, bfeldt at WORKPLACEPRODUCTIONS.COM writes:

> That's as spurious as all those wrong "Windy City" attributions.  Feminists
> never burned bras.  There was a protest in New York City, I believe in the
> late 1960s, in which women threw bras and other "symbols of
> oppression" into
> a garbage can, but never set them on fire.

   Feminists NEVER burned bras?  NEVER set them on fire?  NEVER?
   I recall a documentary that said something to this effect.  The protesters discarded the bras, but usually didn't burn them, for the simple reason that the bras didn't burn easily.  But a few feminists of this time certainly did try.  Here's a few cites:

   6 September 1968, WALL STREET JOURNAL, pg. 4:
_Miss America Pageant_
_Chosen as the Latest_
_Target of Protesters_
   _"Women's Liberation Groups"_
   _Set Rally at "Coronation"_
   _Tomorrow in New Jersey_
(...)
   "We'll have a freedom trash can for bras, girdles, curlers, false eyelashes, wigs, copies of Cosmopolitan, Ladies Home Journal, Family Circle and any other women garbage that sisters want to bring," says 27-year-old poetess Robin Morgan, organizer of the protest.
(...)
   A different question disturbs Mr. Dodson.  "What kind of women would want to burn their bras?" he asks.

   8 September 1968, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 81:
   "We told him we wouldn't do anything dangerous--just a symbolic bra-burning."