"Etymological misinformation ...."

mark worden mworden at WIZZARDS.NET
Thu Mar 13 03:10:54 UTC 2003

In keeping with the spirit of the times, copyright and sue.  You don't need
an organization. Protect yourself.   Anything can be copyrighted -- Aram
Saroyan's one-word poem "lighght" was copyrighted.  (righght ©)

Draft a boilerplate letter and send it to every person who publishes your
work without permission.  You get so good at it you don't even have to
sue -- just threaten a small claims action --, all you do is send the letter
and ask for credit and $500. [One epigrammatist used to do this on a regular
basis.]

They learn to shudder at the mere mention of "etymology" or "Barry".

Of course the etymological information itself may already be copyrighted --
or it may be in the public domain.  In which case you have to scrutinise the
offending publication to see if they have quoted your context without
attribution.  And there's always the possibility that it's fair use.

Quark out
Lower Addictive Conundrum Institute ©

header -----------------------

fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU writes:

> > On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Fred Shapiro wrote:
> >
> > > -- I recognize that the prevalence of etymological information is a
fact
> > > of life and I don't post a continual stream of messages bewailing
every
> > > repetition of untruth in the media.  We live in a world of inaccuracy,
> >
> > I meant to say "the prevalence of etymological
> > misinformation."
>
>    I'm violated every single day, and I'm supposed to accept it as a fact
of life?  Don't mention it?  Maybe sit back and enjoy it?  That's the
"corrected" message?
>    I love Fred Shapiro, but I disagree.
[snipppppp]
>    3.  INSTITUTIONAL SUPPORT.  Now we're getting warmer.  Many groups have
advocate/protectionist organizations.  Think ACT-UP.  Think Jewish Defense
League.  I'm a member of the ADS.  I'm also a member of the Dictionary
Society of America.  I'm also a member of the National Writers Union.  I'm
also a contributor to the OED.  Say one or all of the above hired a lawyer
and took action on behalf of its members/contributors.  There would probably
be action.  But there's been no action.  Maybe the DSNA should think about
protecting its members work (over the internet and the media) at its annual
meeting.