Who influences journalists?

Thu Mar 13 04:51:14 UTC 2003

I don't know where my message disappeared to. What I wrote was something
like, "Many of the people who(m) journalists telephone are academics. I get
such calls all the time. Professors tend to be influenced by academic works.
So an academic work can help correct a myth if the professors who read it
then pass on the information to interviewsing journalists."

I don't think that influencing the masses is a lost cause. Eventually they
come to see that the world is not flat, the earth revolves around the sun,
religion is the opiate of the people, etc. Surely all the great truths
unearthed about the true orgin of Windy City, Big Apple, and the like will
become standard knowledge.

Which is NOT to suggest that Barry should consider corrrupting a few youth
with his iconoclastic ideas and then brewing a nice cup of Hemlock Chai
(2003).