Buckaroo: supposed African origin

Michael Cassidy Michael_Cassidy at CONDENAST.COM
Fri Mar 14 20:42:22 UTC 2003

SK wrote:

Something from another list that reminded me of many posts on this list:

> Could this have been manufactured from nothing?

I am betting my bottom dollar, not to be confused with my heady and
intoxicating scents,
that the origin of "kibosh" is not Yiddish.   it's a false pretender that
might "look" Yiddish but only to someone who doesn't know Yiddish.   I may
end up eating my hat but there is no Germanic, Hebrew or Slavic element (the
main ingredients of Yiddish) in the word that I can detect.

My guess as to its origin is that a man was eating kibble [origin unknown]
(1790) when his wife tripped while carrying a steaming tureen of mush to the
table and spilled the mush into the kibble.   The impressionable child
babbling under the table who witnessed this primal scene dredged it up 46
years later in Bedlam where he had been confined at an early age for
obsessively impersonating an Irishman putting a cap on his head filled with
hot kibble and mush until one day in 1836 a hot-headed little fellow named
Mr. O'Malley came to the man in a vision and sang, "Whack fol the da/Whelt
the salt and pepper shaker/ rattle and roll/Lots of kibble and mush at
Finnegan's Wake," at which point the man had an epiphany and exclaiming
"'From now on I'm putting the kibosh on that green little fellow instead of
a cap."