Spring Roll (1939)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 16 00:44:36 UTC 2003

   Almost spring!
   OED and Merriam-Webster have 1943 for "spring roll."  I was going through the North American Women's Letters and Diaries database, checking out each "pepper."  There's no way anyone else would find this, because it's given as "sping roll"!

Lin, Adet. "Memoir of Adet Lin, 1939"
[Page 252 | Paragraph | Section | Document]
popular. War is war. Chinese food we longed a lot too. At home we have Chinese food which is very nice and there are Chinese restaurants here too. But many dishes in the Chinese restaurants here we have never teasted before in China. Specialities were what we longed like the Sping rolls of our home town and pepper cakes of the South, which are impossible to get here and also "shredded meat". One always likes the place better after leaving it. After I have been abroad then I felt many things which were common to me but are precious and beautiful now and I can know better