LA Times & ProQuest

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 19 18:21:39 UTC 2003

NEW YORK TIMES:  On the eve of war, Nigella Lawson in today's NEW YORK TIMES
decides to makes crepes suzette?  Who did "crepes suzette," Nigella?  Where
oh where can you find the origin of it?...There's a long story of "dim sum,"
and I did that also.  There's a story of "breakfast," and I did "continental
breakfast."  Has anyone on the NEW YORK TIMES heard of my work?  Barry Popik?
 Lives in New York?

PROQUEST & LOS ANGELES TIMES:  I have to get the ProQuest full-text versions
of the LOS ANGELES TIMES and the CHICAGO TRIBUNE as soon as possible.  I
figured that both the Los Angeles Public Library and the Chicago Public
Library will subscribe, and they both might even have advance beta-testing
versions of them right now.  So I asked 'em.
   The LAPL responded below that ProQuest doesn't have a contract with the
LOS ANGELES TIMES?  That was announced in 2002!  Maybe the person who
answered just doesn't know anything?  This doesn't make sense.  Here's
ProQuest in November, and here's the LAPL response to me:

http://www.il.proquest.com/division/pr/02/20021105.shtml

Subj:   Re: WWW Form Submission
Date:   3/19/2003 12:19:33 PM Eastern Standard Time
From:   <A HREF="mailto:infonow at lapl.org">infonow at lapl.org</A>
To: <A HREF="mailto:Bapopik at aol.com">Bapopik at aol.com</A>
Sent from the Internet (Details)

This matter does not concern LAPL. Proquest no longer has an agreement with
the Los Angeles Times. Please use the following the database on our website:
    more.

      Los Angeles Times (NewsBank) 1*
           Complete full-text content of local and regional news, including
community events, schools, politics, government policies, cultural
activities, local companies, state industries, and people in the community.
Paid advertisements are excluded.

Thank you for using LAPL.

Infonow Staff (09) 213-228-7272