"Father Brown"

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Mar 19 19:41:55 UTC 2003

On 19 Mar 2003, at 13:28, Beverly Flanigan wrote:

> Might she also be called Pastor Brown?  It's simple, neutral, and used as a
> generic lower-case job label by many religious communities, including
> Catholics.  I'm surprised that Merrie would accept "Father," even if it is
> "proper"!

If I remember correctly, though, in Catholic parlance at least, a
pastor is the head priest of a parish, and the "pastor" label doesn't
get used when you address him.  So, for example, a parish might
be served by two priests, Father Smith and Father Jones, with
Father Smith serving as pastor.

If the Catholic Church ever ordains women, I suppose it will have to
do something about this priest-addressing issue -- unless "father"
develops a gender-neutral sense!

Joanne