/I/raq, /aI/raq, /a/raq and /schwa/raq

Thu Mar 20 15:03:29 UTC 2003

This is a very nice "loan-word" vowel harmony rule. It also works for
words like "Pakistan" which can be "pack- at -stan" or "pahk-I-stahn." I
wonder if the rule extends not only to the a - a and ah- ah
requirements but also to the @ - I (or i)? If so, the only likely
pronunciations are the ones above and

pahk- at -stahn

would be as unlikely as

pack- at -stahn

In loan-word phonology, "always" is always suspect.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics